History of the Blue Star Memorial
The Blue Star Memorial Program has been in existence through the garden club movement for more than 70 years.
At the close of World War II, National Garden Clubs (called National Council of State Garden Clubs at the time), like other public-spirited groups, were seeking a suitable means of honoring our service men and women. Garden Club members visualized a living memorial, preferring to help beautify and preserve the country these men and women had fought for, rather than build stone monuments in their honor.
While it originally began to honor World War II veterans, the program was enlarged in 1951 to include all men and women who had served, were serving or would serve in the Armed Forces of the United States.
In 1981 approval was given for the program to be again enlarged to include parks, civic and historical grounds.
National Garden Clubs, Inc. is committed to placing Blue Star Memorial Markers in honor of our nation’s Armed Forces.